Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Art of Management (Li Ka Shing)

It’s been 55 years since I founded my company. It has grown from a small enterprise with a few staff in 1950 to a multinational conglomerate with 200,000 employees and operations in 52 countries. I did not have the benefit of a formal education, and would not dare compare myself to management gurus. All my life, I’ve worked hard to learn on my own. What exactly is the “art of management”? I can only share with you my thoughts and experiences.

Art is defined as the creation, production, principle, method or expression of a human endeavor, generally considered beautiful, and is capable of transcendence and has a unifying effect. It is also a branch of learning that can be gained through learning, imitation, practice and observation. On the basis of this definition, art and management appear to share many common aspects.
Are you a boss or a leader?

I often ask myself: Would I rather be the boss or the leader of an organization? Generally speaking, being the boss is much simpler. Your authority is derived from your position of power, which may be granted to you through destiny or hard work and professional knowledge. Being a leader is more complicated. Your authority is derived from your expert power and charismatic power. To be a successful manager, attitude and ability are equally important ingredients. A leader inspires others to greatness. A boss dominates his subordinates and makes them feel small.

No comments:

Google